October 23: His Royal Highness the Duke of Kent opened Birmingham International Airport’s new £50 million International Pier which replaces the original built in 1984.
Built in just 14 months, this represents the airport operator’s single biggest investment in the last 20 years. A three-storey construction, the new pier provides air-bridged parking for seven wide-bodied aircraft and has enough space to serve 13 smaller ones at any given time. Departures are accommodated on the top level, arrivals on the middle level with airlines’ offices and those of handling agents based on the ground floor.
The Duke unveiled a commemorative plaque and was given a photograph of his mother, Princess Marina Duchess of Kent, opening the airport’s original terminal in Elmdon in 1939.