Passenger figures peaked at 1,104,831 last month, beating the previous record achieved back in August 2008, by 2.3%.
This is the fifth consecutive record-breaking month for the Airport, as April, May, June and July also saw previous records for the month smashed. Last month’s passenger numbers increased by 5.2% over August last year.
There was also a 1% increase in long haul passenger traffic with flights operating to Beijing, Dubai, Delhi, Egypt, Islamabad, Jamaica, Mexico, New York and Toronto in August.
Commenting on this milestone month, the Airport’s Chief Executive Paul Kehoe, said: “Achieving the busiest month in the Airport’s 75 year history is a proud moment, especially as it follows four consecutive months where passenger records have been broken.
“Passengers are voting with their feet and more and more are choosing to fly from Birmingham. The demand is clearly there, but we want to make sure this trend continues.
“We’ve invested significantly in recent years, including a newly extended runway, which allows departing aircraft to fly to more long haul destinations than ever before. The capability to serve more long haul destinations will play a key role in attracting more passengers and support future growth.”
Scheduled services that saw particular growth included Toulouse (+251.3%), Milan (+86.6%), Stuttgart (+70.5%), Dubrovnik (+68.3%), Aberdeen (53.6%), Jersey (+49.5%), Shannon (+49.4%) and Ashkhabad (+37.9).
Charter destinations experiencing growth during August were China (+100%), Italy (+37.8%), Mexico (+25%), Portugal (+22.4%), Cyprus (+12.6%) and Jamaica (+11.7%).
Scheduled traffic in August accounted for 77.3% with charter flights making up the remaining 22.7%.