The international climate protection organisation CDP (Carbon Disclosure Project) has again recognised Munich Airport (FMG) for its climate protection efforts. For the third consecutive year, Munich Airport has achieved “Leadership Level” and earned an “A-” rating in the “Climate Change” category.
CDP collects data on climate change measures by companies and assigns ratings between “A” and “D-“. In 2019 a total of 8,361 companies around the world submitted data to the organisation. With an A- rating, Munich Airport is among the top 8% in its category, thus scoring well above average among its international peers.
By 2030, Munich airport expects to reduce its total emissions by 60% through its own efforts. The remaining 40% will be eliminated through what it describes as appropriate offsetting measures, preferably through climate protection projects in the airport region. It is investing a total of €150 million in this climate protection programme and intends to achieve net zero carbon emissions by 2050.
Welcoming the announcement, Jost Lammers, the CEO and President of Munich Airport, said: “Our CDP score confirms that we are on the right track to successfully implement the Net Zero 2050 resolution of Airports Council International (ACI) Europe in line with the Paris Agreement and the EU climate neutrality target.”
Among the measures in support of the target was the retrofit of the airport’s ramp lighting with energy-saving LED technology at a cost of €2 million. With 185,000 LEDs positioned in around 1,900 luminaires mounted on masts up to 111ft (34m)-tall, the project created one of the world’s largest high-mast LED installations. The resulting savings in CO2 emissions amount to approximately 3,000 tons per year.
The results of the latest study released by the CDP are available here: www.cdp.net